Saturday, November 27, 2010

Roger Ebert: The Essential Man

In my last post I explained what we're discussing in GT II right now. So in class we read an article called Roger Ebert: The Essential Man by Chris Jones, and it was in Esquire magazine Now chances are you have heard the term "two thumbs up," if you haven't well then usually people say two thumbs up when they like something. I have always wondered where the term came from and it just so happens, the article was about one of the guys who introduced two thumbs up to television. His name is Robert Ebert, and he is a movie critic. He currently has no lower jaw because of cancer, and has lost the ability to speak and eat.
When I was first handed my copy of the article I wanted to know what the relevance of it was. I wanted to know what this random movie critic had to do with anything regarding the human spirit. When I began reading the article I started to see Roger Ebert as more than just someone over coming cancer, but as a great man who just seemed fulfilled. The amazing part is he knows he has lost his ability to speak and he's dying but instead of wallowing in self pity he continues to critique movies and shares his wisdom on life with the followers of his blog.
By reading this I just realized how blessed I am to have a voice. I don't speak much to people, but can you just imagine having so many things to say and being forced to keep it all in. Maya Angelou once said "Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning." Imagine not ever being able to say I love you to the people you care about in your voice packed with emotion, but being reduced to simply writing down the words. Roger Ebert taught me to be thankful for the voice I've been given and to not waste time being upset with people because if I didn't have a voice my anger would be gone in the time it would take me to write it down.

3 comments:

  1. I definately agree with you Nikki words have so much power and they gain even more power when you say them. The way you say your words and your tone can make all the difference in the world. However i do want to say Roger Ebert is an excellent writer which is why many people can understand him through his written words very well, i think we all should make an effort be good writers, you never know when you may want to be heard but you can say your words, you have to write them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent point, Nikki. Our voices do have such a deep meaning. If only we did not waste that meaning as much as we do by calling people names or telling lies. If humans could just focus this meaning and power, we would probably find fewer problems in the world and have the ability to focus this power on bigger and better things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, it's amazing how you were able to take something as simple as talking to a new level with deeper meaning. My Grandmother had breast cancer and watching her go through chemotherapy was one of the most difficult times of my life. But everyday, no matter how horrible you knew she felt, she would smile and laugh and just be genuinely happy. Mr. Ebert seems to have also followed this same path. People like this have inspired me to become more optimistic, and I believe we should continue to share that message.

    ReplyDelete